Currently we are providing services at the Tallinn Prison, where support groups meet once a week. Participation in support groups is voluntary for the detainees.
The aim of support groups for detainees with substance use issues is to:
- effect change in patterns of use of addictive substances — to help achieve control over use or to stop using altogether;
- increase the detainees’ motivation to change their drug use habits;
- raise the detainees’ awareness of problems associated with drug use;
- reduce risk behaviour by detainees.
Support groups provide information on the following topics
- Situations associated with the risk of drug use; tips and techniques for avoiding them and coping with them
- Relapse prevention and drawing up a „plan B“ for it
- Basics of reducing harms associated with drug use
- Principles of 12-step programs
- Information about services that the detainees can use while in prison and after being released